CESSNA Bird Dog 01-G
Served with the USAF and South Vietnam Air Force.
This aircrafts role was to identify ground targets and then direct artillery or attack aircraft to them, adjusting the direction of fire by radio. This variant is fitted with target smoke marker rocket tubes.
Currently wearing the colourful markings of the South Vietnamese Air force.
- Manufactured 1953 as L-19A
- Accepted by USAF and delivered to US Army
- Returned to Cessna, Wichita, Kansas and modified to O-1G standard
- October 1970 transferred to 219th Reconnaissance Airplane Company (RAC), Headhunter, Camp Holloway, Pleiku, Gia Lai Province, South Vietnam
- 12/1971 moved to the Transportation Company (DS) when the 219th was deactivated
- 15/11/1971 Last US Army report
- To Military Assistance Program (MAP)
- 17/12/1971 To South Vietnam Air Force as 51-12471
- 1989 Recovered from Bien Hoa, Vietnam by Colin Pay & associates and exported to Australia
- 17/12/1996 Registered VH-FXY to Robert.L.Fox, Bentleigh, Victoria
- October 2021 – arrives at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar UK