1944 SPITFIRE Mk T.9 ML295

ML295 was allocated to 411 squadron, part of 126 Wing of the Royal Canadian Airforce.

In total ML295 completed 67 sorties between 2nd June 1944 and 30th July 1944, mostly over German occupied areas of Northern France including dogfights, train attacks, bomber escorts and dive bombing. The aircraft was flown by 11 pilots, 4 of whom received the DFC.

  • Rolled out from the Castle Bromwich factory in early 1944
  • ML295 was first allocated to No. 39 MU (Maintenance Unit) at RAF Colerne in Wiltshire on 13th April 1944.
  • Shortly after it was sent to No. 411 (Grizzly Bear) Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force
  • On 2nd June 1944 the first mission in ML295 was flown by pilot 'Thomas 'Tommy' Wheeler , a 'Ramrod', the code name for a bomber escort mission over occupied France.
  • On 22nd June 1944 411 Sqn moved from England to Beny-sur-Mer in France. Commanded by Squadron Leader R K Hayward DSO DFC with the main duties of the unit being Rhubarbs - freelance flights over enemy territory in weather conditions such as low cloud and poor visibility.
  • 30th July 1944 ML295 was the final mission of ML295 being flown by Flying Officer H W Kramer on a reconnaissance mission when he encountered heavy flak over the Caen area. ML295 was hit and other pilots watched as he fell out of formation and out of sight.
  • Kramer was reported as 'missing in action' however he had survived the crash landing and with the help of local French civilians he managed to evade immediate capture. In return he joined the French Resistance and helped with acts of defiance against the Germans.
  • 20th August 1944 Kramer and others were captured by enemy troops and taken to a local POW camp. Managing to escape Flying Officer Kramer reached the advancing 1st Polish Armoured Division and was able to return to England on 28th August 1944 and eventually got back to Canada.
  • 1989 wreck recovered Jeann-Pierre Bernamou and restoration started
  • ML295 moved to Biggin Hill where it underwent further restoration and conversion to a two seat configuration
  • First post restoration flight 14th January 2022 at Biggin Hill flown by Dan Griffith
See all aircraft