1942 SPITFIRE LF Mk.Vc EE602
Spitfire MK V EE602 was built at the Westland ‘Shadow Factory’ in Yeovil On 11th September 1942.
EE602 was fitted with the universal ‘C’ wing configuration which allowed it to be fitted either with 8 machine guns, 4 20mm cannons or a mix of 4 .303 machine guns and two 20mm canons. EE602 had the machine guns and cannon option.
EE602 fought in the Battle of Britain allocated to 66 Squadron, only the second Spitfire Squadron to come into existence. She then moved to 129 ‘Mysore’ Squadron, named in recognition of the large sums of money the Indian Government raised. Her final squadron was 453 Squadron (RAAF).
EE602 completed over 100 Missions including escorting the Flying Fortress ‘Memphis Belle’ back to the English coast after her famous 25th Mission with 129 sqdn.
Individuals, companies, clubs, or counties could buy their own Spitfire.’ They had to collect £5,000 for their donation. One such company was the Uruguayan railways. Run at the time by British expats. You will see on EE602’s side ‘Central Railways Uruguayan Staff.’ She was formally ‘presented’ to 129 Squadron on 31st May 1943.
After a painstaking restoration lasting more than three years, EE602 now flies again in the markings it wore while serving with 129 Sqn.
- Built 11th September 1942 Yeovil
- Allocated to 66 Sqn RAF and fought in the 'Battle of Britain'
- Allocated Moved to 129 'Mysore' Sqn
- Allocated to 453 sqn Royal Australian Airforce
- Restored at Biggin Hill carrying ' Central Railways Uruguayan Staff' presentation markings
EE602 images and first flight
Clips from the first post restoration flight of EE602 from Biggin Hill.