1945 Spitfire LF MkXVIe

TE356

  • TE356 was delivered from castle Bromwich to No.29 MU High Ercall on 23rd June 1945.

 

  • 11th July 1945 TE356 was issued to No.695 Squadron.

 

  • While in service with the squadron it bore the codes 4M-M and 8Q-Z, it was still on charge on 14th February 1949, when the unit was renumbered as No.34 Squadron.

 

  • TE joined several other Mk.XVI’s at No.2 CAACU at Little Snoring on 20th August 1951 and served until 1st September 1952, when she was downgraded to a ground instructional airframe. TE356 was then delivered to Bicester where it stood on the parade ground, until it was called forward for use in the Battle Of Britain film in 1967.

 

  • To be used in the Battle of Britain film, she was restored to taxying condition with a built-up rear fuselage and other modifications to make it resemble an early mark. Although TE was restored to taxying condition, it was seen to make one last ‘hop’ during a fast formation taxy at North Weald.
  • Once filming on TE356 had come to an end, the aircraft was restored to normal standard and allocated to No.4 Squadron at RAF Kemble. Here work started to restore the spitfire to flying condition-but work was halted following orders from a higher authority.

 

  • TE356 was moved to CFS HQ Little Rissington and was mounted on a pylon on 4th December 1970 but moved with the CFS to Cranwell on 20th April 1976 and then on to Leeming in 1978.

 

  • In 1986 TE356 was exchanged for a P-47D Thunderbolt from the Doug Arnold collection and transported to Bitteswell for storage.

 

  • Registered G-SXVI on February 25th
  • Rebuilt by Trent Aero East Midlands.

 

  • First flight on December 16th

 

  • TE356 was based at Biggin Hill Until 1990.

 

  • January 1990 TE356 moved to Evergreen Ventures of Oregon, USA as N356EV. Then to 747 Inc of Oregon as N356TE, March 1991.

 

  • 2018, shipped to the UK for further restoration work.