Fly a Spitfire | Spitfire TE184
15500
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-15500,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-11.1,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive
 
1945 Spitfire LF MkXVIe

TE184

• Built at Castle Bromwich and delivered to No.9 MU at Cosford on 30th May 1945 to be placed in store.

 

• 12th October it was transferred to No.20 MU

 

• 16th September 1946, moved to No.6 MU at Brize Norton.

 

• 7th September 1948, TE184 issued to No.203 Advanced Flying School (later renamed No.226 Operational Conversion Unit).

 

• 27th February 1950, transferred to No.607 RAuxAF based at Ouston.

 

• 13th June the placed in store at No.33 MU Lyneham.

 

• 9th November, Gunnery School at Leconfield.

 

• 30th January 1951 Cat.3R damage sustained.

• 27th February this was recategorised as Cat.5(GI) and TE184 was converted to ground instructional use and delivered to No.64 Reserve Centre at Long Benton, Newcastle upon Tyne, with the maintenance serial 6850M.

 

• 1952 moved to No.1855 squadron ATC at Royston, Lancs on static exhibition until February 1967 when it was taken to RAF Bicester. Used as a static airframe in the film ‘The Battle of Britain’.

 

• August 1970 transferred to No.5 MU Kemble for restoration and respray as ‘LA-A’

 

• No.23 MU Aldergrove late 1971 for storage for the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

 

• March 1977 placed the aircraft on outside display, but it was soon seen to be deteriorating in the maritime climate and it was placed inside as a conservation measure.

• Sold to Nick Grace in 1986.

 

• Registered G-MXVI to Myrick Aviation Services February 2nd 1989 and rebuilt as a high back Mk.XVI with first flight on November 23rd 1990.

 

• Sold to Alain de Cadenet in 1995.

 

• To Hawker Restorations on 5th December 1996. Repainted in free French Air Force markings (2002).

 

• Restored at Booker by PPS. TE184 took to the skies again after overhaul by PPS in the hands of test-pilot Jonathon Whaley on the 20th of February 2009.

 

• Owned by Stephen Stead.