1943 Spitfire LF IX

MJ755

• Spitfire MJ755 was built at Castle Bromwich, and delivered to No. 33 MU at RAF Lyneham n December 1943, remaining in store until early 1944 when it was allocated to the Middle East Air Force and dispatched by sea to Casablanca, arriving 13th March 1944.

 

• By August 1944, MJ755 had been allocated to 43 (China-British) Squadron – known as the ‘Fighting Cocks’ – coded FT-V and covering the Operation Anvil landings in the South of France.

 

• Bases included Ramatuelle, Sisteron, Lyon/Bron and La Jasse, before moving on to Peretola, Rimini then Ravenna in Italy, before ending up at Klagenfurt in Austria.

• In February 1947, MJ755 was taken on charge by the Greek Air Force and by April was on charge with 335 Squadron at Sedes, but in 1949 it was sent to the reserve pilots training centre.

 

• 1950 saw MJ755 at the State Aircraft Factory in Athens for overhaul, also being fitted with two fuselage mounted cameras for reconaissance work.

 

• The aircraft last flew on 8th December 1953 before being sent for storage and then display at Tatoi Air Base near Dekalia.

• The Hellenic War museum in Athens displayed the Spitfire for many years, before the creation of the Hellenic Air Force Museum in 1992.

 

• In 2007 plans were started to get MJ755 restored to flying condition.

 

• On 23rd March 2018 the aircraft arrived in a container at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar for a full restoration to flying condition. A very complete aircraft, this promises to be one of the most authentic and original restorations ever carried out.